WIC funds have dried up due to this ridiculous government shut down (ridiculous because a group who couldn't win elections enough to further their agenda are now holding the entire country hostage over it- don't believe me, check out heir demands it matches almost exactly what they were campaigning for during last year's elections). This means that pregnant women, infants and children will be going hungry. Sure there are food banks and charities that can help, but the demand for assistance far outpaces the ability of these charities to meet it. People will be going hungry in a country that has huge amounts of wealth.
It makes me sad that a few powerful, very wealthy individuals are going to create such harm for so many. It doesn't have to be this way. It shouldn't be, and we can stop it. How?
- Make a call ((202) 225-0600) or send an e-mail to Speaker of the House of Representatives, John Boehner- tell him to all ow a vote on clean CR bill. Tell him you oppose his leadership tactics, or lack thereof, especially if he's your representative. Do this everyday until he does if you can.
- Call your Congress people and let them know how you feel.
- Donate money, time, or canned goods that you won't need anytime soon to your local food bank. Peanut butter, canned meats and fishes, rice, beans, and hardy canned soups are always appreciated, as are whole grain cereals and baby food or formula.
- Encourage your state government to step in to help. Some states have programs that provide food to the needy.
- Spread the word. Making sure people have good information helps frame the conversation in a healthier respect. It allows for common ground and communication.
- Join a formal protest rally.
- Demand changes to the legislation that classifies food assistance fro the most vulnerable members of society as "nonessential" government functions.
We may not be able to solve this problem, but we can certainly ease the situation and continue to apply pressure to the millionaires in Congress to be decent human beings. Together, we are capable of great things.