Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Sacred seconds

It's not uncommon for us to forget that sacredness and spirituality can be, and often are, subtle things.  We look for dramatic omens, but miss subtle signs.  We invest in ritual and magic, and forget that spontaneous moments of connection to our deities is just as powerful.  Lately, even I have forgotten this.  I've lost my focus on those threads that tie me to the Divine, and it makes me feel lonely.  I know what to do, though, and I know that it is my responsibility.

There are people who craft an everyday spiritual practice that includes designated time and energy and space, and I applaud them for it.  It doesn't work for me.  My life is constantly in flux, and too a certain extend, I like flowing from situation to another without discernible boundaries.  That's part of who I am.  The once separate pieces of my life have flowed together to form a more complete picture of myself, and I like the feeling, for the most part.  Spiritual connections happen during mundane tasks, and imbue the world with magic.  It helps me to open my eyes and my heart.  It has allowed me to reject rigid ritual in favor of embracing moments.  For me, it's a good thing.  For others, spaces need to be strictly defined to make sense, and so they carve out space in their lives for worship.  Neither path is wrong.

You can take sacred seconds and minutes in favor of waiting for full moons or sabbats to worship.  You can combine ritual with spontaneity.  When you are overwhelmed and feeling disconnected, a breath of fresh air and a moment in nature can help you re-balance.  When the housework and family tasks threaten to bury you, a bath or shower ritual can invigorate your soul and wash away negativity.  If you're at work and feeling that you can't take another minute, a piece of sacred jewelry or a bracelet of prayer beads can be a way to comfort yourself with the presence of the Divine.  It's up to you to embrace these moments, because our connection to the Divine never diminishes, it simply goes out of focus.

2 comments:

  1. As usual, you nail it. This is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.