Monday, May 6, 2013

Getting things done

The last couple of weeks have been busy, and my plans have been in a constant state of flux. I felt like I was going nowhere and that things were piling up waiting for me to deal with them.  I'd like to say that I've had a minute to catch my breath, but I haven't.  Still, I can see things are getting done, and that gives me the will to keep going. The front part of my house is clean (now the bedrooms and bathroom are left). The door to the Kindergarten is decorated for Teacher Appreciation Week. Documents have been submitted to various organizations that had demanded them; meetings have been attended.  Meals have been cooked, and problems have been resolved. The To-Do List, which is still frightfully long, is getting shorter. I have accomplished something.

Sometimes, overcoming a sense of being stuck can be as simple as listing out what has been done, rather than what still needs to be done.  It's one of those "shift your focus" exercises that can be used to get us through tough times, and it works.  It lets us see that progress has been made in places where it's not obvious.  As a new mom when Gavin was born, I looked at the messy house and the unfolded laundry and my un-showered reflection and felt like a huge failure.  Someone on a web forum suggested writing down everything you do in a day to illustrate that being a stay-at-home parent is work to a spouse that didn't understand.  It proved to be a better self help tool than relationship equalizer.  Nursing seven times a day, changing nine diapers, cooking dinner, unloading the dishwasher, paying the bills online, washing and drying a load of clothes, checking the mail, getting the baby to a check-up all added up to eat an incredible amount of time, but when you see a list like that, yo have to forgive yourself a little for not being able to do more.  You've already done a lot. 

If you feel like you can't get anything done, or your life is going nowhere, take a minute to evaluate what you do with your time. There is a good chance that you do more than you realize. It doesn't change where you are or what you wan to to get done, but it puts things into perspective and allows you to look at why you may not feel any momentum.  If nothing else, it might show you where you waste time or what you could cut out of your schedule to reinvest that time in something that makes you happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.