Wednesday, March 6, 2013

I love this song!

There is almost always music playing in my house.  Depending on who is home and what we're doing it could be the classical or heavy metal or protest songs or pop.  Aiden loves to play air guitar and head bang to rock.  Gavin likes to sway to more soothing tunes. Yesterday, it was Yolanda Be Cool's remix of "We No Speak Americano" when Aiden ran into my bedroom and yelled "I love this song! Come on, I want to dance with you."  He took both of my hands and started dancing.  So we danced.

Last week, I was listening to some slower folk-rock love songs when Aiden made an appearance.  "Mommy, I want to princess dance with you."  A slow dance turned into a cuddle, and I had a horrible thought: One day, he won't want to dance with me anymore.  Little boys who think their mommy is the most beautiful woman in the world and who secretly waltz with mom grow up to be bigger boys who think girls have cooties.  Gavin waited until just last year to do that, but Aiden, well, he won't give me that much time because he is a typical little boy.

There is very real and powerful magic in dance and in being drawn into the otherworlds of childhood.  Moments like these dances with Aiden are reminders that we were meant to move, that music is communication and that imagination is powerful  So, dance, especially if a little person invites you to do it with them.



2 comments:

  1. AstarteAlison MoonMarch 6, 2013 at 1:05 PM

    oh this struck a chord, my little girls are 18 and 15 now, will still dance around the room with me but only if no-one is watching us lol! You have a beautiful blog, I adore the stars background. I shall find you on facebook too in a mo.

    blessings to you, Alison

    http://www.astartemoonblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Alison! I'm glad your daughters still dance with you.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.