Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Make a change

I'm having a little celebration.  I have made it through the year without a major depressive episode. I have had bad days, and I have been sad, but I haven't been consumed.  I'm feeling pretty proud of myself.  I think I'll put on my tiara and treat myself to lunch then read a book.  This is a milestone worth enjoying.

I can't change my genetics.  I will likely always be prone to depression, but I can choose to give up or to fight back.  I can actively and consciously make changes in my life to change my circumstances. I can say "That's just the way it is" and wallow.  The choice is mine and mine alone.

I fyou are depressed, dissatisfied, or just unhappy, make a change.  Start small by finding something to be grateful for rather than something that bothers you. If you insist on a To Do list, add realistic chores to it.  Be proud of something you accomplish each day, no matter how small.  If you are lonely, reach out to someone else- volunteer, smile at a stranger, strike up a conversation with the person sitting next to you in a waiting room, join a social media group, write a letter.  If you don't like where you live or how much money you make, explore some options to change the situation.  Change something. If it doesn't work, that's fine, you tried and you do get points for effort.  Try again, but don't sit there and do nothing. Nothing works better than anything to keep us miserable.

2 comments:

  1. Good advice, timely too. I had total-knee surgery last January and the surgeon kept me on Norco for 3 months. Norco is a narcotic that doesn't allow you to get into Rem sleep. It knocks you out but about 1 1/2 hours later you are awake. The fatigue builds up, it causes depression and fatigue and depression cause more pain. He stopped me cold turkey and I didn't sleep for about 10 days.

    I was very violently raped when I was 9 and hospitalized for two weeks. I thought I had dealt with all of that in therapy and life and time. The dr.'s say the Norco caused a downward spiral that took me deep enough to uncover the trauma that I had buried pretty deep. My PTSD, which was totally under control became out of control. I have all the tools to handle it but found that the tools weren't helping because I had lost the will to go through the whole ugliness again.

    Your advice is very solid and wise but there are times when even the best intentions are beat out by the depression. It is very easy to make a person "in the pit of despair" feel even more guilty because they don't have the where-with-all to make those little changes.

    I am so much better now, my tools back in place. Making those little changes is easier and easier, Making big changes is becoming even easy. PTSD back to just moments of paralysis and back in control in the blink of an eye.

    I love your blog and love to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, Toni. I'm glad things are going better. This post isn't meant to make anyone feel guilty, but it is meant to remind us that we all have choices, and that doing nothing is a choice we make. It's been very empowering to realize that even when I make a choice that doesn't work out, I have still tried, which is more than some people ever do. Thanks for your comment, and I hope your healing continues.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.