Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Stretching

I needed a good stretch today.  When I got out of bed, I felt shorter, cramped, and hunched.  Feet solidly on the floor, I reached up and stretched from the tips of my fingers to the ends of my toes.  It felt good.  A little later, I was stretching my brain, trying to come up with something to write.  Then, a bit after that, I was stretching my ability to understand someone else's point of view.

I spent my day stretching, and I came to the conclusion that I need more of it in my life.  I need to stretch and strain physically to restore the flexibility I had.  I need to stretch my brain so that it doesn't start to shrink, and I must continually keep stretching my compassion and understanding of the world in order to grow as a person.

Like any other habit, I'm certain this one will start out awkward, uncomfortable, and with some stinging.  With practice, it should also provide benefits to my entire self.  It simply requires gentle, consistent application.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.