Thursday, December 6, 2012

Santa's deer

Monday, Aiden and I were driving home from school.  Normally this is pretty peaceful and unexciting, but we saw something a little unusual.  Not three feet from the car window was a buck.  Deer are frequent visitors to the school's neighborhood during the mornings of chilly months.  You don't typically see them at midday on the street.

I pointed this pretty guy out to Aiden, and he exclaimed, "It's one of Santa's deers! He must live here."  This is the point in a child's life when their imagination and ability to communicate coincide the best.  He sees magic and possibility everywhere.  He totally bought my suggestion that the deer was checking up on the kids' behavior at school.

It occurs to me that this could be the last Yule season when Aiden is this open to magic.  That makes me a little sad.  At the same time, I'm trying to remind myself that growing up is part of life and that prolonging something for an unnatural length of time is not healthy.  So, I'm stepping  away from the computer and going to enjoy some time with the little guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.