Friday, December 28, 2012

Maidens, Mothers and Crones-living the archetype

In the last couple of weeks, I have received some good advice, in different forms from my elders.  These older women, and that is in no way meant to be a dig at anyone's age, have done what elders have done for generations, they have shared the wisdom of experience with me as I struggle through something.  They aren't offering me a quick fix or demanding I do things their way, but they have been showing me compassion and refusing to allow me to wallow in misery.  They speak tough truths about life, but with humor and love, and they expect me to chose my own path forward.

It times like this that the idea of the ever changing, cycling Triple Goddess rings undeniably true to me.  I have moved from hopeful, slender, pretty, untried Maidenhood, to the strength, challenge and power of Motherhood, and one day, I, too will have to take up the mantle of the Crone during which, my accumulated life lessons may be of use to others who are just starting out on their journeys. The time will come for each of us magical souls to take up the task of being the Elders.  As one generation fades into the Otherworlds, the next generation must relinquish the comfort of our old roles and be the voice of experience to help those new to the path find their confidence, strength and beauty.

I hope that when the time comes for me to step into that role, I can embrace it grace and humor and as voice connected to generations past through my own interactions with the Elders. When my hair has turned grey and the skin of my hands becomes thin as paper, I hope that I can fully appreciate the lessons of my life and continue to share them.  I hope that my heart remains strong and full of love, and I hope that in the meantime, I continue to be blessed with wise, wonderful Elders who can help learn even more from my life. To those wise women who have been my guides, thank you.  I couldn't do this without your wisdom and strength.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.