Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Guardians

Monday, my husband and I took the kids to a movie.  We saw "Rise of the Guardians", and it was wonderful.  I had been mostly avoiding the news all day, just to keep my sanity, but this movie was a good reminder about hope. It was not only a nice prelude to our holiday celebrations, it was very healing.

I love the work of William Joyce, who created the characters, story line and concept art for the film.  Before Gavin was born, I had no clue who he was.  Quickly, I was introduced to "Rolie Polie Olie" (the TV show was the first one Gavin fell in love with and it was so cute that it stayed around our house long after it was taken off the air) and "George Shrinks".  Later, "Meet the Robinsons" and "Robots" became favorite films. There is a sweetness to these works that I appreciate, and buried inside are life lessons.

"Rise of the Guardians" was exactly what I needed yesterday. It's a story about embracing our essence, our center.  It is about hope in dark times, and it is a reminder that art, music, dance, literature, and fairy tales still have places in our world, and more importantly, inside us. It reminds us why all of our folklore and mythology persists, to make us dream bigger when darkness threatens.  For children the theme is empowerment, but for adults, it is a reminder that we must be the guardians of childhood, because they are all that we are and all that we will ever be.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.