Saturday, November 3, 2012

Another fairy tale lesson

If you recall your fairy tales, old women in  distress are fairy godmothers in disguise.  The lesson of these godmothers is to remind us that appearances are deceiving and that good deeds are oft rewarded.  It's a lesson long forgotten by society. I had an encounter this week that reminds me of those tales, ans makes me remember why children still need such stories.

Tuesday, as I drove the quiet, winding rode I prefer to pick Aiden up from school, an old woman stood by the side of the rode. As I waited for my turn to get through the four way stop, I watched six vehicles pass by without letting her cross or checking to see if she needed help. I stopped my car, thinking she was looking to cross.  She approached the window instead, and so I rolled it down and asked if I could help her.  She wanted directions to the Whole Foods store.  Somehow, she had gotten lost as was a few blocks on the wrong side of Broadway.  I pointed her in the right direction , and with a heavy Eastern European accent, she thanked me and walked off.  Checking to see that she was safely off the roadway, I drove on.

I don't know who she is, and I hope that she got to the store alright.  I hope that being kindness and little information was all she needed, but I have no way to know if I did enough.   I am concerned by how many people either never noticed her or simply didn't care.  It feels wrong to me to just ignore someone who might be in trouble, and yet everyday it happens to people all over the world. This feeling is the one those stories of fairy godmothers in disguise are meant to prevent.  I think I'll go read "The Twelve Dancing Princesses" to my kids, now, just as a reminder to never leave someone stranded if you can lend a hand.  You never know who they are, and whatever good we do in this world, it eventually comes back to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.