Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Vote as though your life depends on it

This election cycle is drawing to an end, but there is work to do.  I'm going to beg you to vote, and to vote as though your life depends on it, because it might.  Much of the future of the United States, and the world, hangs in the balance.  This is not melodrama, it is the harsh reality.

Here are a few reasons to vote that may impact your life directly, and will or have impacted mine:


  • VAWA- My mom is a domestic abuse survivor.  VAWA is probably a good part of why she is alive today.
  • Birth control- birth control is expensive, but it something that nearly every woman in the United States has or will use.  Women and their doctors, not legislators or employers or accountants should be making decisions about women's healthcare.
  • Social safety nets- More than once in my life, I have been in a position to need some form of public assistance.  As a child, when mom had to leave her first husband to save her own life, we needed public assistance to get by.  Later, my husband and I needed Medi-Cal assistance to pay for the labor and delivery of our son because we made less than $13,000 that year (combined) and worked for employers who offered no healthcare benefits.
  • Education- If you attended school and used any form of government administered financial aid, if you have children of any age, or you think you might need training to get or keep a job in the future, you'd better be paying attention.  
  • Religious freedom- there are nut jobs out there who are currently insisting that their relgious freedom is infringed by your healthcare choices.  These are also people who think that the Bible should be the basis of the legal system and that science is just stuff some intellectuals made up.  Personally, I think my religious liberties are far more in danger than theirs.
  • Clean air and water and non-toxic food- Thousands of small decisions about food, water and air quality will be made by the next administration  From fuel economy to whether or not we are given good information about the food we eat to how many species will disappear forever from this planet, the ecosystems of Earth are hanging in the balance.
I'm not going to tell you how to vote, but I am urging you to pay attention, check facts, ask questions, and vote this time around.  For all of us.  Kallan Kennedy wrote an incredible piece about what a campaign is.  I really recommend you check it out.


8 comments:

  1. Really important and valid points. I worry about this election and a certain running mate and believe me I'm going to vote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, VOTE, VOTE, VOTE!

    Everything is hanging in a fragile balance. This is one the highest-stakes elections in recent history, more so even than 2008.

    I've lost sleep over it. Seriously. This is not a dress rehearsal. This is a decision that will determine whether the U.S. goes forward with a willingness to work on our issues or backward into fear and repression.

    I'm worried because I know what fear does to the mind and in turn to our actions.

    If we go backward, the civilized nations will want nothing to do with us.

    Vote, please. Vote for humanity and progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very right, fear is toxic and the world grows weary of our behavior as a nation. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  3. Indeed! Get out and VOTE!

    Most people don't realize that while "birth control is expensive", it saves nearly $4 for every $1 it spends! Also, it only costs about $9 a pack for many types... and yet, social services encouraged me to have kids (regardless of my personal safety risks) when I was living in my car to get literally thousands of dollars a month, between food, Section 8 housing, medical care for the kids and for me, even help with transportation and other services.

    Do you want to spend $9 on getting women birth control, which should *properly* be called hormonal therapy, or do you want to spend thousands PER MONTH for the next 18 YEARS for EACH CHILD birthed by low-income women without it?

    It's basic math! Worried about a national deficit? Help us to not have kids! Not having a kid means I can keep my three jobs and will prevent me from needing social services for the next 18 years (not to mention the thousands in government college scholarship money that kid would qualify for by 18)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the stats, Bebe! I can't imagine what life would be like if I'd gotten pregnant each time I could have since I became sexually active- I'd have been pregnant at least 9 times. Which is a scary idea for the world.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.