Friday, October 5, 2012

The eucalyptus tree

At the corner of the boys' school property there is a fairly young eucalyptus tree.  Most of the year, we all walk past it and occasionally note that it's shedding bark.  Rarely does anyone notice anymore than that.  I am guilty of this as well.  I typically notice the tree when the bark is everywhere, if the wild turkeys are sitting in it or after a storm, since it loses limbs regularly.

Last Friday, I walk around that corner and smelled moist soil and something vaguely minty until the truck showed up to pump someone's port-a-potties (there is a house being built across the street).  I didn't think much of it.  This morning, the tree is scenting the air with it's oil.  The entire neighborhood smells like eucalyptus. A gift from that oft ignored tree.

I left school a little bit lighter today.  The scent from that tree cut through my negative thoughts and redirected my attention somewhere else.    Little gifts mean so much when life is overwhelming, but we can only appreciate those gifts if we try to keep an open heart and mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.