Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The rights of nature

As far as Western law is concerned, Nature has no rights.  Probably not surprising given that many human beings have no rights under law, but sad none the less.  This is something I've been aware of, on the periphery of my mind, but it's not something I ever considered as being changeable   I may have been very wrong in thinking that.

A river in New Zealand, and it's ecosystem, has been granted personhood by a judge recently.  Amazing, isn't it?  It's an idea so old that we can't trace the origin of it, and at the same time, it is exciting new territory. Could this be the answer to the plunder of the natural world and the destruction of it's ecosystems? Will it hold up in court? Will this movement spread?  I have no idea, but this is one of the most hopeful signs about the world's environments that I've seen in a while.

Take a look at the article, and let me know what you think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.