Friday, August 24, 2012

The pull of places

There are a few places in the world that I desperately want to visit.  They seem to call me to them. Each picture I see of them touches something in me in a way I can't describe.  Some of these places are sacred sites, a few are places where horrible things happened, and others are pieces of my personal history.

I thought I'd share my list, as a way of reminding myself and the Universe that someday, I really want to see these places and touch the earth with my own hands.
  • Kilauea Volcano, Hawaii- I have a recurring dream (that I started having at age 4) that I had lived in Hawaii as a teenager and was left behind during an eruption to die so that I couldn't tell anyone something I knew about the person who left me behind when everyone else was evacuated.  The images of the dream are still vivid and the scents are intense.
  • Sand Creek, Wyoming- a massacre of terrible depravity occurred here in 1864.  Ever since I heard excerpts from eye witness accounts during a Native American history class, I have felt a need to see the site and to listen to the wind there.  I also want to know if the terrible energy of that massacre lingers or if the land has healed.  It's a strange pull that leaves me sad and angry, but curious as well.  The fact that Kit Carson, a man whose very legend haunted my childhood, decried the disgusting and horrid events and demanded justice be done speaks to the injustice committed by American men that day.
  • Scio, Oregon- the place where my great-grandmother was born and raised.  She has been the character of many family stories, and I know Bend, the place she lived for many years and where she is buried, but I don't know where the stories began.
  • Anglesey, Wales- Place of the last Druid stronghold and the place for which some of my ancestors were named.
  • Ireland- In particular, I'd like to see Newgrange and the other sacred sites, but there are many other locations that I have read about in folklore collections.
  • Mesa Verde- I've got a degree in anthropology and have never seen Mesa Verde. It's disgraceful.  The pueblos have long fascinated me.
  • Cahokia- The mounds and remains of a once thriving city that abruptly declined and was abandoned.  It's located in the Ohio River Valley.  I researched a number of artifacts and archaeologists connected to Cahokia for a contract job I did a few years ago, and the information I uncovered was fascinating. I'd like to be able to put images and textures to that information.
  • Machu Picchu, Peru- My Peruvian friend said nothing can prepare you for the experience of the ruins.  She also said very little prepares you for the physical exertion of visiting the ruins that sit 8,000 feet above sea level and require considerable climbing to get to.
What places in the world most tickle your imagination?  Does anyplace seem to call to you, asking you to experience it?  I'd love to know where and why.

1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted to visit Manchu Picchu too. Also I want go to Prague, the Black Hills of Germany, all across Great Britian, Ireland. Also I've always wanted to see the great redwood forests and the pacific Northwest.

    One day..

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.