Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Finding our places and our voices

I think most of us who are nudged off the well worn roads of institutionalized religion into the wilds of our own spirituality struggle to find our place within larger communities.  Before we find our place though, it is my belief that we have to find our voice.  If we cannot ask questions or voice our needs, we cannot ever truly find a place that fits us.

This blog was intended as a stepping stone for bringing a dream of mine into reality. That dream is still a dream, but writing here has taken me on a journey through my own head that I never knew I needed.  Close examination of how intuition, life experiences, and social theory interact within me to create my worldview was a necessary step to being spiritual without being religious. Until I understood the process, I had no faith in it.  Writing is the process I use to understand what I think and what I know and how to apply it to life.

No matter where you are in your spiritual development, finding your own voice- whether it is through written word, speaking, art, music, healing- is crucial to finding that place in the whole of the Universe that is yours. Once you find your voice, and the courage to use it, every thing else begins to point to new places, one of which is the one that will fit you perfectly.

It occurs to me that part of the reason the Pagan community has been having so many difficulties the last few years with in fighting and generally not nice behavior, is that we as a group are struggling to find our voices, to find those people who we are proud to have represent our voices, and our place in the world at large. We are outgrowing the previous models (especially the Pagan = Wiccan model that I first learned, and that many people I have known begin with), but we haven't quite figured out what is next and how many different voices will make a harmonious choir to sing our songs to the world.

1 comment:

  1. Very true. I also think that shedding our "religious skin" is harder and takes longer than we imagined and that's why many of us start out on a path that has many of the elements of our previous religions/paths (such as Wicca.) It's a comfort thing, and that's ok. I think it's really hard to "learn" to be Pagan. It has to be experienced through practice, which of course, means it takes time. I read so many blogs in which the author writes of his/her search to find a group to share his/her path with. I personally think this too is influenced by organized religions. I think that paganism is a solitary, private, individual practice in general, although there are times when pagans get together to practice and socialize, just as communities of pagans once did. But the path is a solo one really. And that's why all this arguing about right and wrong in regards to spiritual practice is futile.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.