Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Biting off more than I can chew



There's a saying that a few Christian friends of mine are fond of that goes "God never gives you more than you can handle."  On one hand, I want to believe in this idea, and on another level, I know that we often get in over our heads.  After my first P.T.A. executive board meeting Sunday night (it went on for 3 and a half hours!), I'm afraid that I am in way over my head.

I'm trying really hard to find common ground with each member.  I'm struggling to squash my reflexive jealousy and irritation with what I perceive as privileging. I'm forcing myself to remember that they want to help our kids get a good education.  It's been an uncomfortable look at my community and myself.

I'm also thinking I should volunteer to more time.  The very thought has me sweating and trying to breathe past sudden tightness in my chest.  I'm also terribly afraid that sticking my neck out will lead to decapitation, and that nothing I do will help change anything for the better.

I guess the answer, for the moment is to take few deep breaths, work on processing my fear, and investigating possibilities.  I'm going to try, and I'm going to remember what the Lorax said:

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not"

4 comments:

  1. I love the Lorax. What a wise... thing. Lol. If anyone could make a difference it's you, hun! Hang in there and know that we are all behind you here!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandi! I'm sure you will all get all sorts of peeks into my experiences.

      Delete
  2. Oh, the PTA scares the heck out of me too. I know more involvement can only mean good things (in the long run) for my child and the school itself... but it is SO scary. I suggest you watch the end of Practical Magick and take heart, you can and will help build a stronger community (with many deep breaths along the way).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think there is a clinical term for being afraid of the PTA? Thanks, Kat, I think I'll watch Practical Magic tonight while I wait for my husband to get home.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.