Thursday, August 30, 2012

A new book and a new lesson

A few years ago, I was drawn to the title of a book I saw in a catalog. It called to me, yet I resisted buying until a couple of weeks ago. The book is Tom Cowan's "Yearning for the Wind: Celtic Reflections on Nature and the Soul". I was afraid that it wouldn't be what I hoped for. Many books on spirituality feel gimmicky and preachy.

This one turned out to be personal and attainable, without the wallowing and whining I heard as I read Signe Pike's "Faery Tale" (Don't get me wrong, I loved parts of her book, but I was also frustated by her lack of understanding about how very privileged she was to be able to travel and dwell on the meaning of her relationship to her father). Written in short, related chapters, rooted in Celtic folklore, and drawing on personal experiences, I found it to be thought provoking, funny, and honest.

Reading this book has also been a lesson in trusting the Universe. I ignored a call that I heard out of fear. I had been presented with many oppurtunities to read this book, and I reasoned my way out of it many, many times. I dismissed the idea that this could be what I needed. My intuition had been true and strong and I chose to ignore it. I finally purchased a used copy for less than a dollar when the book continued to come up on my Amazon recommendations every day for weeks.

Over the next few days and weeks, I'll share some of the lessons I learned while reading "Yearning for the Wind". I'm feeling reinigorated and inspired. The timing of this book ties in prefectly with some other ideas I've had, and I hope you will all enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.