Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Sweating through it

I have never been a fan of heat.  I turn red, start sweating, lose focus and generally looked like a wilted flower when temperatures climb.  Last night, we had a hot, hot night.  To top that off, our four year old son, missing his brother and wanting attention, decided he had to sleep with us.  It was a bit like climbing in the oven, if the oven could kick you in the side.  After a frustrating couple of hours, I headed out to the living room couch (leather sofas are much cooler than the bed was).

Laying in the dark, listening to the click of the vertical blinds swaying in the fan's breeze and hearing the clock tick, I still couldn't sleep.  I tried breathing exercises, counting sheep, and trying not to sleep, but nothing worked.  I gave up and grabbed my MP3 player to listen to a guided meditation in hopes that I could get my mind (and the Whatifs) to shut up.

The guided meditation was on the subject of attracting wealth, and as I listened to it, probably for the first time while paying attention to the words instead of drifting off, I heard something interesting.  I was being instructed to make room in my life for new wealth by getting rid of old ideas and objects and cutting the negative emotional ties to the people in my life. When I started thinking about all the things I hold onto, I felt very overwhelmed.  There are so many ideas that I love, but that make my life more difficult, just as there are objects that I keep because I feel disloyal about getting rid of them.

Ideas are powerful things that cannot be touched with our hands, but that shape every aspect of our lives.  When we force ourselves to examine the ideas that we cling to most fiercely, we sometimes find that the reasons we do what we do aren't easy to deal with and don't make as much sense as they should.  It's like strenuous exercise for our minds.  Last night, I was sweating through it.  Hopefully, after a while, I'll find a stronger set of ideas underneath all the flab.


6 comments:

  1. This is a really important reminder for me right now. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I hope your healing is going well.

      Delete
  2. I had a similar "epiphany" a few months back. Ever since I cleared out the cluttered and the negative people things have only been getting better. The business has picked up, my home is happier, and was the only place in this part of Virginia not effected by the tornado! Lol. It will be an amazing new life for you! :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandi! I'm looking around at this chaos and trying to figure out what to do with it. I guess I'm just deal with a pile of crap at a time, both internally and externally.

      Delete
  3. A wilted flower huh? I smell like onions and look worse..lol I have been on the same path of riiding myself of clutter around the house and in my head and heart. Its very diffucult but well worth the effort. There is a lovley book called Magical Housekeeping by Tess whitehurst that really helped me get my foot "so to speak" in the door. Good Luck Hon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delphi, I've missed hearing from you! I keep meaning to buy the book, but every time I try, it's out of stock or I have brain fart. Yesterday, the smelling like onions part would have been an improvement. LOL!

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.