Monday, July 23, 2012

Pagan or witch or Wiccan or what

Labels, ugh! Human beings just can't seem to get rid of them.  It wouldn't be so bad if labels were choices not assignments, I guess.  Once again, there is discussion about who is and isn't a real Pagan, witch, Wiccan or whatever, making the rounds, again.

As I'm starting to doubt my desire to be lumped in with the Pagans, due to a few jerks who just open their mouths to insert their feet, I'm thinking this shall be my new answer. I'm Pagan (in the not Christian, Jewish or Muslim sense) because it's a short answer when people ask. I believe in many, many things and I don't deny that your worldview is any less real to you than mine is to me.  I'm a witch because that is how I live. It's not my religion, it's my lifestyle. I'm not part of any "tradition" because I think it's a misuse of the term, and I won't tolerate bureaucracy in my spirituality.  I celebrate holidays (lots of holidays- A Blessed Ramadan to all-, not just the Pagan ones) with the people I love because I want my celebrations to be full of joy and love.

I'm tired of people trying to fit the aspects of my life into little boxes. I never really fit into any of them, and people understand me far less when I adopt their labels.  The details always seem to get washed away by labels and I like being three dimensional and detailed rather than a bare sketch. Sorry, but I refuse to conform to anyone's definition of what is and is not right for me.


2 comments:

  1. I just co-facilitated a workshop on this very thing. There are so many labels and so many things interweave with each other... I love the way you put it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kat. I hope you write about your workshop. I'd love to hear how it went.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.