Monday, July 16, 2012

Faery kisses

My son Aiden has developed a faint sprinkling of freckles across his nose. They are completely enchanting and suit his puckish nature perfectly. He was not happy when I first showed him. Crying and trying to rub them off, he yelled that he didn't like freckles.

After a moment of dismay, I figured out what to say. I told him they are the places where faeries like to kiss him. Suddenly, he felt special and happy. From that moment of acceptance, he has developed an entire narrative about faery kisses. When he sleeps well, and let me tell you this child is the worse sleeper I've ever met besides myself, he comes to me in the morning and tells me that he felt faery kisses. When the bedding tickles and keeps from him sleeping, he claims the faeries are playing in his bed. The feathers that break free from the feather comforter are faeries flying in my room. Dandelion fluff gets picked up and helped to fly, because Aiden doesn't want the faeries to get stuck.

All it takes to be happy is an adjustment of attitude, it would seem. 

1 comment:

  1. That is just the cutest thing ever! I had a friend when I was growing up who had freckles. her mom also told her they were faerie kisses. She didn't have an imagination like that though! what a cutie pie!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.