Friday, April 20, 2012

The seal people

The selkies, the seal people of Celtic folklore, are described as dark eyed and dark pelted. Most of their time is spend among the ocean waves or on the beaches of rocky islands to the West. They are also capable of stripping off their pelts and taking human form.  "The Secret of Roan Inish" is a lovely Irish film that retells the old legends of the selkies.

I dreamed of seal people the other night. Awake and distanced now from the dream, their eyes haunt me. I found them in my dream trapped on an enclosed patio with a hot tub while searching for someone else. So sickened and withered by the heat, I didn't recognize what I was seeing, and it scared me. I slammed the door closed and cried. Then the door knob began to rattle. I opened the door to see them standing, after a fashion, and looking me in the eye.

For all their stangeness and all my fear, I was drawn back to them. The room was uncomfortably hot and humid, like North Carolina in the summer; it was hard to breathe in air that heavy. Their suffering was immense. Their bodies emaciated, pelts dull and mottled, and their huge, dark eyes were full of sorrow and pleas for help. They had been trapped intentionally, then left to die. So, I did what I could, and let them free. Dropping back to their bellies and resuming the more familiar behavior of marine mammals, they swarmed through the house hunting for their captor.

The dream ended when the alarm went off, but scared and saddened, this dream lingers on. It's not first time Otherworldly beings have shown themselves to me; it's doubtlessly the last. Usually, I merely see them, but rarely do we interact directly.  The whole experience has left me off kilter and confused.  There was a reality to the dream, if I can really call it that, that cannot be ignored.  I have always  been able to control my dreams, and I've always been able to tell what was dream while I was in it.  This feels so different, more like Otherworld journeys, except that I was fully asleep.

6 comments:

  1. What an interesting dream! I've been going through a period where either I'm not dreaming or can't remember what little I dream, which makes me sad. I miss the visits from the other world.

    Are you familiar with the Inuit story of Sedna as retold in Clarissa Pinkola Estes Women Who Run With the Wolves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that your dreams have been elusive. I go through periods like that myself, and they are odd.

      I'm not familiar with that story, and I keep meaning to read the book (which came out when I was a young teen), but I forget every time I go to the library. I guess I'll have to try harder to remember to find it.

      Delete
  2. What a sad dream..it was a cry for help if ever there was one. I dont have dreams like that mine are mostly symbolic..one of them that lingered the most is me running near these woods and I could see a pack of white wolves moving through the trees and in my bag was three pups a white, black and brown one...I knew they didnt belong to the pack and they wanted them for some malicious reason..the fear creeps up on me when a white wolf passes through my dreams even now..the last thing I remebered was running ito a house and slamming the door the pack hit the house like an avalanche I clutched the pups but when the glass shattered I woke up. It may seem like just another dream but for me I felt the fear of the pups and the rage tearing after me. I understand the feeling of being confused and may a bit overwhelmed...but I dont think I could have handle ur dream..suffering ruins me. Hope they give u a sign that makes things easier to understand. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my dreams are symbolic, too, but this one doesn't have the same "flavor". Your dream is more the type I am accustomed too. I'm sure this isn't the last of this. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. We should speak privately. Think you would find my bloodline interesting. We explore a lot of aspects while bouncing ideas of one another. :)

    Here's a link to one aspect of my families compiled history.

    http://profs.etsmtl.ca/mmcguffin/McGuffin/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting. You can contact me via the address in the "About Me" page. Thanks.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.