Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Fixing

Are you a fixer? I am.  I feel an impulse to"fix" things when somebody tells me their troubles, and I'm not sure it's good for anyone, especially me.

I must say that I come by my fixing naturally.  My mom's a fixer.  My husband's a fixer. It makes for complicated relationships when things aren't going well because we feel obligated to fix things even when all we need to do is listen.  When I vent to somebody, I don't expect them to fix things (yes, I see the kink in my think), but the fixers in my life feel frustrated and upset that they can't fix things.

Awareness of a bad behavior is the first step to changing, so I guess the next step will be to chart out a path to change.

2 comments:

  1. It is only in the past 10 years or so that I have learned to stop trying to "fix" problems of those around me.

    I realized that if I said I believed our soul ventures to obtain wisdom through experience, if I interfere in another person's life to "fix" something, am I not truly interfering with their own opportunity for growth? If I feel that I should be responsible for my own life and actions, shouldn't other people as well?

    I would feel so drained from trying to take care of everyone else that it was truly hindering me mentally, physically and spiritually. If we don't have anything left of ourselves, what is there to give to another?

    Best of luck with this sweetie. Have a beautiful week and repeat after me, "It is all about me." ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mina! You have beautiful week, too.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.