Sunday, April 15, 2012

Absence makes the heart grow fonder

That old saying is very true for some relationships.  My husband and I started dating long distance.  We spent a year of our marriage apart and working on our own educations, and this week, we spent time apart.  The kids went with him and I spent time alone, a rare thing.

I missed them, to be sure, but knowing that it was only for a few days gave me the courage to embrace it and let someone else deal with the kids.  I didn't call them or obsess over them.  It doesn't mean I don't love them, but I think they may have needed the space as badly as I did.

Tonight, when they get home, we will go back to our regular routine, but we will do it with a fresh memory of time apart.  Maybe that will help us all appreciate each other a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.