Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Strength

I'm not sure what strength is.  It may be one of those things that only compare two things.

My husband and mother think I'm strong.  Me, I think I may just be thicker skinned the average person due to the circumstances of life. It was toughen up or die; my innate sensitivity as a child made life difficult to deal with. I felt everything too strongly, took everything personally, and cried all the time.  We develop callouses on our skin to protect us, and we develop armor for our psyches to protect everything that makes us who we are.

Now, I get angry, I feel compassion and empathy, but I'm aware of the world, but I don't drown in it.  Does that make me strong or adaptable?

5 comments:

  1. I would say that it makes you both strong and adaptable. Sometimes I have to make sure I don't let those "callouses" become so impenetrable that the world can't get in anymore. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Polly! I am constantly trying to find a balance between being too sensitive and too insensitive. A happy medium is a wonderful, yet elusive sensation.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You're right, Kat, it can be both, but I've been having a hard time remembering that.

      Delete
  3. See that's why I love reading your blog. I often have said the same thing. I am not strong I just adapt well. Growing up an Army brat and then an Army spouse it comes with the territory I suppose. Lol

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.