Saturday, February 18, 2012

Wandering around aimlessly

From time to time, I like to wander.  I leave the house with no plan in mind and just go somewhere.  Where I end up is usually a surprise, but it is also way to discover your community.

Unless you live in a very small town, you probably haven't visited every part of town.  Even after 6 years ion Walnut Creek, I still find pockets of houses in areas I thought were just hills, or vice versa.  I find fun things like the old gas pumps from a filling station and anew vintage shop behind an office building.  There are homes with beautiful a gardens and places where the past shines through the present.  Winding dirt roads sometimes lead to incredible views of valleys still full of cattle. A few weeks ago, I saw a Mardi Gras tree strung with colorful beads; it was fun, pretty and seemed to keep the birds away.  Yesterday, I saw a pretty stained glass window, that reminded me about how fascinated I am with the process.

Wandering is the same as being lost, but it can free us from expectations and open our eyes to what really is all around us.  Going slightly out of your comfort zone or routine, even for a few minutes, can help bring back some wonder and curiosity.  Next time you are in a rut, try exploring. Walk, ride or drive some place that's slightly unfamiliar and then, just wander, but don't forget to leave a trail of breadcrumbs or make a map.  Just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.