Sunday, February 26, 2012

Stubborn

Sometimes, the strongest parts of our personality are present in us at a young age.  I wrote this while I was writing the storytellers series, but I didn't use it.  It's one of those stories that has become iconic in our family, because it is completely me.

My mom likes to use this story as an illustration of my tendency to think for myself.  I like to think I've gotten a bit better about taking advice, but that's rather open to interpretation.  When I was very young, we lived on a ranch, where my mom cooked.  The heat came from an iron bellied stove.  When this happened (and I know it did, because I burn scars on both palms), I was only about eighteen months old.


"I saw you looking at the stove, and I looked at you, and said, "Mandy, don't touch that, it's hot."  You looked me right in the eye and then put both your hands flat on it."

Yep, that sounds like me. I still have the scars on my palms.  My mom just shakes her head when I decide to do something.  I guess she learned early on, that I was going to do what I wanted, no matter what you say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.