Thursday, February 9, 2012

Stepping up

In a classroom, when a teacher asks a difficult question, it is often met with silence until one person raises their hand and begins to fill that emptiness.  I rarely have a problem being that person.  You all know that I get up on soap box here regularly, and I encourage people to push back against policies they don't agree with or see as harmful.  Strange that I had a sinking feeling last week when I got an email from the PTA nomination committee at my son's school.  They asked me to think about serving on next year's board.

The idea of this terrifies me on several levels.  One, I feel very out of place at my son's school; I dress differently, I drive a different type of car, and I tend to get riled up by totally different things than the other parents.  My second fear stems from the idea of being that far out into the limelight.  I usually work behind the scenes, and this would be very public.  My third misgiving was the reasoning behind asking me.  I had no idea what reason they had to look in my direction.

I thought about the email for a few days before talking to my husband (who wants me to do this), after his not so gently shove into agreeing, I talked to the woman who emailed me.  It turns out that she's trying to get some new attitudes and more sensitive people to get involved.  

While all of this will be up for vote, I'm stepping up and trying to help the PTA speak for a greater number of families than it currently does.  I'm going to get involved, one way or another, and take some responsibility for creating change in my community.  Wish me luck, tact and patience, I think I'm going to need it.

7 comments:

  1. Good luck! Its great that they don't want the board to just be a group of clones. I'm sure it'll be a great experience. I myself an wondering if I'll get involved with the PTA once mine are there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. It'll be tough, but I think it will be good for all involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a teacher, I say "Oh, thank goodness!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! They might actually have brains in their head after all..I mean who wants to listen to the same opinions and viewpoints day after day :) You will be a welcome breath of fresh air and I wish you the best of luck. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Delphi. You are one of favorite cheerleaders!

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.