Thursday, February 23, 2012

Religious disrespect

I hate hypocrisy.  I also believe in setting an example.  Recently, I saw a Pagan blogger's "humorous" status update on a social network.  It was a link to a site mocking the Mormon's baptism of the dead.You could enter the name of a dead Mormon to turn them gay.  Stupid, yes?  It really pissed me off, especially from somebody who has the ear of so many Pagans, and so often crusades against Pagan persecution.

I found it disrespectful, distasteful and horrifying on several levels.  My family history is intricately and irrevocably tied to the Mormon church, just as it is to Plymouth Colony.  Not so many generations back my family was involved in the very beginnings of the Mormon Church.  It's how we ended up in the West.  I am proud that my fore bearers stood up for what they believed, traveled a difficult and dangerous journey looking for a place to live their lives free of hatred.  I am proud of those who walked away when that same religion no longer spoke to their hearts.  My personal history with the LDS community has been difficult- they excommunicated my mother when she had me (but not my married father); they actively tried to turn me against her as a child, and they told me I could only have a happy afterlife if I married well.  I have seen them abuse power and people, but I merely walked away rather fighting with them.  I've never agreed with many tenants of the Mormon faith, even when I was one.  Baptism of the dead has always bothered me, but I will not condone mocking another faith, just because I don't like their dogma.

As a Pagan, who has at times been shunned and pestered, I will not do it to someone else.  I will not quietly sit here and let the remark go without pointing out how awful and hypocritical it is.  If Pagans (all of those many far flung and frequently unrelated belief systems that get tossed under the umbrella together) want to be treated with respect and kindness and not persecuted, we damn well better not be starting crap.

4 comments:

  1. Here, here! (Standing and clapping)

    My favorite bit, "If Pagans (all of those many far flung and frequently unrelated belief systems that get tossed under the umbrella together) want to be treated with respect and kindness and not persecuted, we damn well better not be starting crap."

    Starting crap is NOT supposed to be the way of the Pagan. True, we're all human and have our own baggage (so to speak) but what is to be gained from diminishing others from a pagan step-stool? Anything? Nope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Polly! I think the Pagan community has an incredible opportunity, given the current political climate, to stand up and set an example for tolerance, if only we, as a group, take it.

      Delete
  2. "Starting crap is NOT supposed to be the way of the Pagan".
    .
    Really? Oh, you're right. Starting crap is supposed to be the way of the Christians. At least that's what history teaches us. So we'll just behave like all the other pagan civilizations in history who also thought treating Christians with respect would earn them complementary respect. We all know how well this philosophy worked for the Native Americans in North, Central and South America.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The point wasn't to bash Christians. It was top point out that allowing Pagans to publicly bash a religious group days after throwing a fit about religious intolerance is hypocritical, rude and disrespectful, especially from somebody who has the ear of so many American Pagans.

      We all know what history has occurred, but we can choose to not repeat it.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.