Saturday, February 11, 2012

Faery Godparents for J

Four years ago, a couple of sweet, amazing people entered our lives. A little girl, afflicted with a debilitating and incurable disease, J, and her mom.  J was in kindergarten with my older son, and she brought a light and many lessons about diversity and caring into the lives her classmates. She goes to a different school now, but we miss her and her mom.

J is the hospital right now. An accident has injured one of her vital organs. Days of being with her in the PICU have left her mother and grandparents exhausted, which caused Grandma to wreck her car on the way home a few nights ago. My husband and I have offered up our car, dinners, DVDs and moral support to help them cope, but it doesn't feel like enough.

One of their neighbors, who I also know, and I are trying to figure out how to help, and maybe more importantly, how to raise money for J's family, to be their Faery Godparents. First off, I'm going to paint a Faery Godmother in honor of J and put it on etsy. The procedes will go to J. Second, I'm asking you, my thoughtful, creative readers, for any fund raising/ helpful ideas you have. So far, we've talked about dinner deliveries, laundry service and housekeeping. Anything else you come up with would be greatly appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. I want to say sorry but that doesn't seem like it would be anywhere near to my feelings about what you and their family is going through. Myabe you can do a fundraiser here on your blog through Chang.org or some other site dedicated to awareness and donations..also maybe notifing your local news media or radio to let them know a local family is in need. I hope these sugestions are some help and I send my love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoughts and prayers to everyone involved.

    Consider soliciting donations from local businesses and holding a silent auction at a local hall or neighborhood center.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kat. That's idea. We may also contact the awareness foundation for families dealing with her illness and try to organize a walk.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.