Saturday, January 28, 2012

Urgency to change

I have been struggling to lose weight for the last 8 years.  During the last few weeks, this struggle has changed.  After the expereince of sitting with my friend at the hospital, a week or so ago, I have a pressing sense of urgency to take care of my health.  Since that night, I have had several other family members and friends call to let me know about their various health concerns and crises; it would appear that I need to be well, not just for myself, but so that I can support them in whatever way they need.

For me, it's often easier to do something for someone else, than it is to do it for me.  Suddenly, dealing with my weight and the potential health problems it can cause, has become center stage.  Sometimes, we are prompted by the Universe to get ready for something.  I can't help but feel a slight panic and incredible sense of foreshadowing.  Things are changing, but what my world will look like after these changes is anyone's guess.

For now, I am going to try my best to be healthier, because people are depending on me in a lot of different ways.  My depression and weight, which have long been linked in my mind, need to be dealt with.  Health and a new lifestyle are important to the people around me.  Now that I've acknowledged this sense of urgency and decided to listen to my intuition, rather than telling myself that I'm paranoid, I feel like this time, I can do this.  I have to do this, and not just for myself.

2 comments:

  1. My doc asked me if I had read "Forks Over Knives: the Plant-Based Way to Health" by Gene Stone

    The premise is this: eating healthy beats the crap out of continuous drugs and surgical intervention. The secondary premise is that big pharma WANTS you to stay sick so it can make a profit off of your illness. By changing your diet, many medical conditions (lupus, fibromyalgia, asthma, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, colon diseases, heart disease, some cancers)can be eliminated by removing the causative agents from one's diet.

    So, as I have been in the process of eliminating many of the proscribed foods anyway, I've decided to try to go 90% on the diet recommended by this book (the Kindle edition is $6).

    Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check it out. I heard about it a bit when it first came out on KPFA (our local independent radio station), but had forgotten, Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.