Thursday, January 5, 2012

Sin and Paganism- my opinion

Sin is a big deal in the Abrahamic traditions.  Lots of things not to do.  For me, sin is kind like the boogie man; a story meant to scare you into behaving a certain way, but ultimately not really anything in essence.  That's not to say that I think people should go around follow their own conscience with impunity, because I don't.  Some people don't have a strong or even fully functional conscience, so morals, ethic and laws are created by societies to keep things running smoothly.  It's hard to keep society running if everyone did exactly as they please and it's much easier to agree beforehand on a few ground rules than to deal with the aftermath of chaos.

I believe that life is precious.  All life, plant,s animals, people, but nature has a reason and a purpose for everything which means that some life is sacrificed to feed other life  That's just the way things are.  I will respect the animals I eat, but I won't stop eating them anymore than I would stop eating plants.  I don't like the idea of killing for sport because it's wasteful and disrupts the balance of nature.  I haven't killed a person, thus far, but that's not to say that I wouldn't because, really, I don't know.  Should that happen, I would fully expect some sort of balancing to occur in this life or the next.  I'd don't lie because I don't like being lied to.  I don't steal because I know how hard I work for my stuff.  I keep the few promises I make, and I try not to damage others through my actions.  As a realist, I know that my choices can have far reaching unintended consequences, so I try, really hard to minimize that, but ti doesn't keep from holding onto an ideal as a goal.

I live my life with knowledge that in nature, everything is connected, everything cycles, and that no actionis without it's consequence.  Harm none is a little too far reaching for me to achieve, so I live by harm as little as possible and expect to see what good and bad I do come back to me in one form another, because everything is connected.

2 comments:

  1. "Sin" is the tension caused by the evolutionary urges that enabled our pre-human ancestors to survive long enough to become human but that no longer serve us well in the modern, civilized world.

    http://johnfranc.blogspot.com/2011/07/original-sin.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an anthropologist, I won't comment on the origin of sin. I can comment on current usage of the term.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.