Sunday, January 29, 2012

The new Emergecy Room adventure

My 8 year old son had a visit to the emergency room the other night. He had severe pain in his groin and lower abdomen and the Kaiser Permanente pediatrician on call wanted him brought in.  Since we have to two kids and the ER is no place for a kid recovering from pneumonia, only one parent could accompany Gavin.  He picked Dad (for car reasons); it was hard to stay home and wait, but I sent my sweater with Gavin to wrap up in.

For the few hours he was gone, I received regular updates via text message from my husband.  Gavin was scared and wanted me to know that he wanted to come home.  When they finally arrived here, Gavin had to tell me that he was scared and wanted me.  He's so independent most of the time that it was bittersweet to hear his confession.  I don't want him to be afraid, but I was grateful that he wanted me to comfort him.  My husband told me that Gavin clutched my sweater and buried his nose in it for comfort.

He's on the mend now, but experience left him needing reassurance and physical contact. He has been wrapped in that sweater and reaching for me constantly  Kisses, hugs, cuddles and conversations to put things in perspective have all be important parts of his recovery.  At some moments, the power of human contact and mother's comfort amaze me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.