Friday, January 27, 2012

Disconnected days

Do you ever have days where you're disconnected?  From time to time, and without the help of medication (my migraine meds make me feel weird), I have days where I am floating through.  Things don't bother me (even if they should) and nothing seems real.

While this sensation can be fun, it's also disturbing.  I am connected to many things, and suddenly losing the connection is awkward and uncomfortable.  Another problem is the sudden crashing back to Earth sensation that inevitably follows.  I'm floating, and then I'm suddenly Earthbound.  The shift in perspective can be dizzying.

The first thing I try to do to reconnect with my life is to imagine myself rotted to the ground.  Roots extend from my feet, deep underground, while the rest of me stretches high into the sky.  Sometimes I can focus enough to get this to work, but other times, I just end up waiting for the floating to end.

I'm curious as to whether anybody else has these sort of experiences.  Do they teach you something? Do they cause problems?  Can you regain your connections through meditation or visualization, or do you wait for things to change?  Do you welcome these floating sensations?

4 comments:

  1. I have before. For me it causes problems as nothing gets done, things get forgotten, and then when I snap out of it I'm scrambling to get stuff done. Sometimes they're a relief, almost a way to disconnect. There are other times when they're not welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way. I hate when they happen on days when I really need to focus (like on driving). Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Great post. Just one note, I think you mean 'rooted in the ground' not 'rotted'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! That's what I get for not putting on my glasses while I write. Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.