Tuesday, January 3, 2012

2011 is out with a bang, 2012 is coming in with a "meh"

It's been a crazy couple of weeks- holidays, meltdowns, illness, interrupted travel plans.  2011 went out in a fit of insanity and chaos.  I'm not sure when I'll find my bearings again.

The holiday season kicked off with putting in an offer to buy a condo around Samhain; it fell apart just before Solstice.  The weeks between Samhain and Thanksgiving were filled with a butt kicking virus, end of the school term, parent-teacher conference and looking for another place.  Since then tempers have been flaring and plans have been in a constant state of flux.  We got through Solstice and Christmas alright until my four year old got sick; he has pneumonia and will be recovering for a while.  On top of all this, we really HAVE to move now, which will likely bollix up our house purchase timeline until at least June. I've got my grouch on, for certain.

Winter is a difficult time for me.  My depression tends to deepen and the cold, wet, rainy weather makes it difficult to get out and do things.  Taxes annoy me and the pace of life is not even or regular.  I'm trying to hold onto myself until spring comes and the newness of it washes away some of darkness.  I'm drinking a flower and herb tea blend to remind me that winter doesn't last forever.  I've joined Pinterest and am pinning things that make me happy.
And I've picked out a few things to purchase for spring.  This time of year tends to be about treading water for me.

Do you get the winter blues?  How do you cope with the down parts of life?

5 comments:

  1. Around this time of the year, I am leaving winter blues and moving towards being restless. I cannot wiat to have more light and get out of the house more often!

    Good luck with that place-buying thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winter blues are evil. I start to nest and clean a lot. It's odd.

    I'm going to try and find you on pintrest. I love that website. It's a wonderful way to waste time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This year I have actually put forth more effort to stay hopeful. Usually I'm all gung ho about the new year and all the fabulous thing that are going to happen, but this year I am trying to be more realistic. I usually burn out by Feb. so I am hoping that by toning it down I can carry myself through March! Lol! I hope your blue's turn into pinks soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If suffer from SAD and tbh I haven't found anything that works yet :(. I have thought about getting a lightbox, but they are so costly...

    This year I'm feeling particularly low as I didn't get out and about as much I would have normally in the summer with a new baby born in May.

    I've just joined Pinterest so will look you up as well. I like the idea of collecting some summery things on there to help dig me out of my doldrums.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone. If you are looking for me on Pinterest- I'm on as Mandy Wells.

    Nicole, I found you. Thanks!

    Diandra- restlessness I understand, the third week of February here usually rains all week, and by the end, I'm willing to get very wet, just to be anywhere but at home.

    Luna, congrats on your baby. Getting out will be easier this summer. In the mean time, a color corrected incandescent light bulb might be useful for you. They are purplish in color and cost around $8, I used one in my desk lamp a few years ago when I was still a student and never got out during the day. While not as effective as the light boxes, it did help some. I'll try to find the name of the company, if you'd like.

    Thanks for the support, it means the world to me, and keep s me from sliding too far into my funk.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.