Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Filling in the gaps

You might think it's a bit weird, but I am somebody's tia.  I'm as Northern European as you can get, I speak very little Spanish and I have no sisters (at least genetically).  Somehow, along the way of life, I picked up a whole other family.

This family includes a sister (somehow born on a different continent to different parents), her husband, her mother (a sweet, grandmotherly soul), a niece and a nephew.  They fill in the gaps of my life, and I love them for it.  Without them, I would not get the same opportunity to be part of another set of children's lives.  I wouldn't get to spoil them and teach them.  I wouldn't have a friend who understands where I'm  coming from (because she would react the same way) when I gripe, and I would miss this connection to another a woman.

For some of us, our family is a ready made cohesive unit that we are born into.  For the rest of us, we create as we go.  Whatever type of family you have, I hope you are enjoying the holiday season with them and making the most of these connections and interactions.

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for extra families! I don't know what I would do without them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an "adopted" son and daughter on Google Plus. I also feel like I have another adopted daughter that I met through Twitter. She lives in Italy.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.