Sunday, November 20, 2011

Getting to the holidays by way of personal tradition

The holidays are full of tradition for all of us. Some of these are time honored cultural traditions that we inherit from the past, and others are personal, created just by us, for ourselves.  For me, the early part of the holiday season is marked exclusively by certain pieces of music.

I warn you, the assortment is a bit odd, but the holiday season would not be complete (or even acknowledged until I hear these songs for the first time each year.  Even though I don't celebrate now the way I did growing up, these are still important reminders of who I am and where I came from.  We celebrate Thanksgiving and the winter solstice now, but these have been incorporated into new celebrations and represent tradition for my kids.

Adam Sandler's celebration of Hanukkah, strangely has been the single for the impending season for me since I was teenager.  As an adult, I better appreciate the humor and the feeling of being the only one with out a Christmas tree.  I absolutely refuse to think about holiday shopping until I hear this song each year.

Robert Earl Keen's "Merry Christmas from the Family" is another awesomely strange holiday song. This song pretty much summed up the insanity (and numerous trips to the store) that happened at each and every holiday.  Alcohol, tampons, and new family members to meet were a regular occurrence.  My holidays don't much happen like this anymore, but the nostalgia is still there.

"Santa Baby" was played all winter by The X, the ecclectic radio station my family typically listened to.  This song is still one of my mom's favorites and reminds me of the fun of shopping with her during the pre-Christmas weeks.

These pieces of music hold a lot of emotion and memory within them for me.  I'm sure you have a list of things that really embody your holiday memories, too.  I'd love to hear what they are.  

2 comments:

  1. OMG, I laughed myself silly with the videos! I need the names so I can share them. I need to mop up the tea I snorted out my nose, too. Thanks for putting the silly season into perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Gaia, I am so sorry, and yet amused, about your tea. The songs are: Adam Sandler's "Chanukah Song"; Robert Earl Keen's "Merry Christmas From the Family", and Eartha Kitt's "Santa, Baby". I'm glad you enjoyed!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.