Monday, November 21, 2011

The Faery Godparent Project- an invitation to join in

I need to spread some light, some magic and some joy around.  So many people are unhappy and in need of help of all varieties, and I want to do something about it. The other day, I started out by slipping $20 in the bag of a local homeless womanat the grocery store.  Another day, I helped my son gather autumn leaves and flowers into a bouquet for his teacher. It felt great! My ambition for 2012 is "The Faery Godparent Project", and I'm inviting you all to join me.

The premise: Make the world a better place by giving a piece of yourself to it. We are all full of light and magic that can be shared in an infinite variety of ways.  Whatever your skills, your budget and your available time, you have something magical inside you that can be shared to make life better for someone.

Ideas:
  • Leave a note of blessing for someone.  You don't have to know them- it can be completely anonymous and random.
  • Make a blanket, afghan or quilt to donate to charity, hospice, hospital or shelter.
  • Volunteer somewhere.  Senior citizen centers, museums, schools, hospitals and crisis centers are almost always in need of volunteers for a huge variety of tasks; some are one day commitments others are weekly.  Most of these organizations are willing to train you and get you started.
  • Leave flowers on the doorstep of a neighbor.
  • bake cookies for the teachers at a school.
  • Take part in community service days in your community.
  • Volunteer at an animal shelter.
  • Adopt a road.
  • Smile and say "hello" to people.
  • Leave tips.
  • Visit sick or elderly friends and family who might not get many visitors.
  • Organize a neighborhood help exchange.
  • Open doors for people.
  • Donate food to food banks.
  • Let people cut flowers from your garden.
  • Listen to people.
  • Send healing energy out.
  • Share the bounty of your vegetable garden.
  • Read to kids at the library.
  • Put money in nearly expired parking meters.
  • Repair something for someone.  My husband over the years has helped dozens of strangers get their cars going when they needed it.  He's changed tires, pulled over to check that people are alright when their cars overheat, even made emergency repairs to cars in parking lots.
  • Speak up for others.
Whatever you do, do it with the intention of spreading a bit of magic and positive energy. Grow light by planting seeds of happiness, compassion and love.  The rewards could be huge.  Whatever you send out, comes back to you, and who knows, maybe a little love and inspiration will get people everywhere to spread their light around.  We can change the world and create a better place for all of the Earth's inhabitants.

I am asking you to share yourself and your light with the world for the next year in a concerted, joyful effort to really practice  a bit of magic.  Spread the word and spread your light. I'd love to hear your suggestions and your stories of spreading light.

Blessings!

2 comments:

  1. I think it's wonderful that you are hosting something like this! I have been a volunteer/activist/advocate for years and nothing makes you feel better at the end of the day than knowing you help people! Good job and I hope many, many people join up with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this idea. All very affordable things that people can do. I smile at people all the time and have had some come to me and tnank me for the smile. I find telling a complete stranger that they look nice or that I love their outfit brings a huge smile, guys included.

    I will take some of your ideas and use them this year.

    Blessings, V.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.