Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Burning questions keeping me up at night

Let me start by reminding you that I love faery tales.  I have read them, watched them, studied them.  I collect them and dream about them.  No surprise to anyone that I've been watching ABC's Once Upon A Time.  I'm hopeless addicted and enjoying every second of it, but one burning question has been driving me crazy for the last few days- What is with Rumpelstiltskin and babies?

Here's my theories 

  • Babies, especially the royal sort, make lovely pot roasts.  Ye3s, this is frowned on in polite society (unless of course you are Jonathan Swift), but faery tales are known fro this sort of gruesomeness.
  • Sacrifices to the Devil- again, common faery tale fare.
  • He is re-distributing the offspring to childless couples and isn't really bad, just a bit unbalanced.
  • Black market sales
  • He sucks the life out of them to stay young.
  • He uses them as slave labor.
  • He just likes them.  Newborns are rather sweet and cuddly.
I've always sort of wondered about this, but lately, the curiosity is driving me a bit bonkers.  I'd love to hear your theories, though.

In case you haven't heard or have been unable to get to Domestic Pagan's blog- her new address is .net, not .com.

5 comments:

  1. In Eastern Europe, a male child is sold for 20K, a female child for 15K. Just in case you were wondering. ^^

    (After thinkig about it... 15-20K per year, thatis not all that much. Maybe if one could guarantee having twins... ^^ )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your post . I hae never seen that TV program but I want to now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE LOVE LOVE THAT SHOW!! It is so awesome. I have been watching Grimm too and I'm a little disappointed. Hopefully it will pick up soon. Because of my love for drama shows my theory is POWER! He will take the babies and raise them to worship and need him above all others, and then put them back in places of power to do his evil bidding. Did I mention I also adored Mists of Avalon? Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really enjoying Once Upon a Time. You ask good questions that I didn't really explore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Lots of interest in this post. Faery tales still touch us in so many ways, don't they?

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.