Saturday, October 8, 2011

What do you want to be when you grow up?

I always thought I knew exactly what I wanted to be when I grew up.  Here I am, grown up by some standards, and I have no idea what to do with my life.  I miss certainty; it was nice and happy there.

Do I look for training for a different career?  Do I go to grad school?  Can I afford any more student loans? What do I most want?  Yeah, I don't know either.

Here's the rather crazy list of possibilities (and a few impossibilities) I've come up with:

  • Grad school in anthropology or museum studies (where to find the money is the problem, I have references lined up around the block and a couple of my college mentors would actually jump for joy if I did)
  • back to school for training as an alternative healthcare provider ($$$$)
  • start an actual business, not just piddling around on etsy (Agian witht he lack of money)
  • back to retail (hell itself, especially during the holidays in Yuppyville)
  • start a farm for organic and magical herbs (but I'd have to move in with my mom)
  • say screw all this and become a nomadic forager (I'm not real good with botany, but I do the know the woman to ask, of course, I also like having a roof over my head and being clean)
  • write a book (about what?  I don't know either)
  • try a brainwashing so that I can be a perfect housewife (sometimes this sounds like the easiest option)
  • learn the LEED certification process and get a job in green building  ($$$)
  • become a community agitator (but I don't really know that many people)
  • go into politics (somehow, I think this would be a doomed enterprise, but it could scare the hell out of some people)
What do you think?  Do you ever feel this way?  What would your list of possibilities look like if you wrote it down and what holds you back?  Anyhow, I'm off to the library, and then possibly to OccupySF. Cheers!

6 comments:

  1. "Try a brainwashing so that I can be a perfect housewife (sometimes this sounds like the easiest option)" Ha!

    I've been in school forever... in my father's words "have more degrees than a thermometer" I like writing and I think this is it for me, but there are times when I wish I didn't have to do any technical writing, then I freak out thinking "what about if I can't freelance forever" then I write some more...

    Guess the answer is, I kind of know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magaly, I am so glad that I'm not the only with chronic student syndrome! Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mean I am supposed know what I want to be when I grow up!! I still am so unsure...I am a work at home mom for a communications company and thats fine..I even have a Medical Asst. certification...but I'm still thinking what if I just... I would really like to get into Computer Forensics, but that means literally starting over my education. Sigh... I know how you feel and wish I had the answers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe this is a sign of the times, Delphi. I don't know but there have go to be answers somewhere, but I'm thinking they hide when we look for them, kind of like faeries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I,too, am a perpetual student and a higher education junkie. But then, aren't all practitioners of the craft? Maybe when I reach middle age (65) and can retire, I can work in a used bookstore (bliss), still teach my college class, and audit courses for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to be able to just take class after class...

    My husband responded to reading this post by picking up a book on how to win local elections. He thinks he so cute.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.