Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Love your body

Today is NOW's "Love Your Body" Day.  Let me start by confessing that these days, I don't love my body as I should.  I'm overweight and my skin is currently a disaster.  I don't worry too much about the scars and stretch marks, there is nothing to do for them.

I long ago accepted I would never be a supermodel; I'm too short (5'1") and have always been to curvy (My and Dolly Parton have a bit in common). After gaining a lot of weight with each baby, I'm trying to relearn the love I once had for my body.  It isn't any easy thing to do.

There are certainly things I can appreciate about my body- I manged to deliver to beautiful babies safely and without drugs.  I've only broken two small bones in one foot.  I don't get sick very often, which has been a good thing since most of my life has not seen me with medical insurance. My body, all said and done, has been rather good to me.

Loving your body is about accepting beauty in ways that the fashion industry doesn't.  It's about unlearning toxic behaviors and it's about refusing to be bullied by stereotypes.  Rejecting a lifetime of aggressive marketing and subliminal programming is not easy, but for our sake, and the sake of all the girls and women who come after us, it's worth the effort.




3 comments:

  1. Loving one's body is easier if one looks at all the things it does... all the crap it puts up with... and all the support it gives. Your body is like a really good old friend - even if you do not always appreciate it, it sticks around and does what needs done - even if it is treated like crap.

    My older sister swears by wild rose oil for stretch marks etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! Like you I have not been as kind to my body as I once was. But it sounds like your body has done so much and continues to do so much to be proud of! :) Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been pretty lucky when I was younger me and my body were friends, but 3 kids and lots of stress later..my body is not the way I would like it to be. Although I'm a learning to send a couple compliments its way. Good luck on your journey for self-love you totally deserve it.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.