Monday, September 19, 2011

Willful ignorance should be punishable

This volcano blew her top on Friday night.  The pyroclastic cloud has yet to dissipate.  It was all brought on by a chronic case of stupid that can't be cured because it's all willful.

It's one thing to not know something.  It's quite another to embrace that ignorance and refuse to remedy it and to also inflict it on others.  I propose that embracing ignorance should be considered the ultimate evil.  A willingness to learn, to change, to grow is healthy.  It cures many misconceptions, vaccinates against recurrence of ignorance and allows for better relations all around.

I don't know everything.  I don't claim to be an expert at anything (except maybe running my mouth), but I don't embrace my ignorance.  I may not really be interested in something, but I will learn a bit about it.  If I don't know something, I look for answer.  Being ignorant is curable.  Being willful stupid should be criminal (a fine and some community service for the first offense, fines plus public mockery for all further infractions?), especially when it messes with other people's lives.  It's damaging to us all when ignorance prevails in any arena.

5 comments:

  1. Very true and a great a great way to think. There is always more to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww..the sickness of willful stupidty...I think the only cure might be a swift kick in the behind. ^_^
    I know how you feel sometimes I want to just rant and rave at people who cling to their narrow view of the world...but then I begin to feel sorry for them...they must be truly afraid or insecure of their own world view to cling so tenaciously to their ideals. Hmmm something to ponder....now you got me thinking ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness I can't agree with you enough! I have blogged about this several times myself. Willful ignorance is fine as long as you don't leave your house. Subjecting others to it is down right irresponsible and infuriating! Apparently I am loving the "i"words today. :) I hope you recover from this soon and are showered with rays of love and intelligence the rest of your week!

    Love and Light,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Sandi. Strangely, my husband and his insidious (there is an "i" word for you) logic fixed the problem. I'm hoping to shake off all of the frustration soon. No promises though, as the world is frequently a stupid place.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.