Thursday, September 22, 2011

Why it matters to me

It may be a bit counter-intuitive for me to spend so much time writing about politics and society on a blog developed to address spirituality, but for me, these things cannot be separated.  I am often filled with anger or pain when I learn about suffering or injustices perpetuated on my fellow humans.  After spending years of my life trying to drown out these feelings, I found myself numb to everything.  It is better for me to feel pain and sorrow and frustration than to feel nothing.

So, when I step up on my soap box and yell, I do so because my spirituality is tied intimately to the experiences of humankind.  I will no longer shut off my heart to prevent it from bleeding.  It diminishes me and it helps to create an illusion that we are unconnected. It makes it easy to refer to others in the abstract rather than the concrete.  It flattens  the human experience in all of it's richness and depth to a never ending sequence of random, unconnected events.  It cuts us off from each other.



No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as a manor of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

-John Donne

2 comments:

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.