Tuesday, September 6, 2011

When it's your hometown on the news

At any moment, somewhere in the world, a tragedy occurs.  Wars are being fought, oppressive regimes are maintaining their hold on their people, accidents and crimes happen.  Today, it was in the town I grew up in.  Carson City, NV isn't large, especially for a capital city and more importantly, in contrast to Las Vegas. It isn't particularly close knit, but I can tell you, we all pretty much knew each other.  There were very few degrees of separation, and I expect that hasn't changed in the years I've been gone.

This morning, a gunman opened fire at the IHOP in Carson.  People are dead, people are injured and everyone is waiting for answers.  The media is reporting conflicting information and the rumor mill has begun to wind up.  I sit here, 250 miles away, wondering if anyone I knew was involved.  I wonder what happened, and I hope that my family (as estranged as it is) is alright.

These sorts of tragedies are awful, wherever they occur, but when the place on the news is the place you grew up, it hurts you in a new way.  May healing all who need it.

4 comments:

  1. I understand, a few years back a F5 Tornado blew thru my hometown, I was living in a different state. Luckly, no one in my family was hurt. I felt the pain. And wished I could have done something. I will light a candle for you and your family.

    Brightest Blessings
    Scarlett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Scarlett. I appreciate the camaraderie and the candle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we lived in Killeen,Tx a man went into Luby's and opened fire in 1991...we lived not even 10 mins away from this Luby's. Months after the shooting we went there and I couldn't breathe...it didn't happen to me, but the thought made this place not a safe place for me I was around 12 yrs old at the time. These kind of tragedies have a way poisoning a whole town. As time goes by I hope they will be able to come together and move pass this tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are with you and eveyone affected by this.
    Blessed Be*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Delphi. It's surreal to be watching it from here and wondering about all those people I knew and have lost touch with. Thank you for the thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.