Thursday, September 15, 2011

I just don't get it

I really don't understand why people have to be so mean to each other.  This morning, I was reading a news article about a piece of legislation barring doctors from talking to patients about guns being ruled unconstitutional.  The comments on the post got to be increasingly nasty personal attacks on each other, rather than on the merits of the case or idea of infringing upon free speech.  Name calling, accusations of mental illness and slurs against the race, religion and political affiliation were everywhere.

It really bothers me that people don't seem able to rationally discuss anything anymore.  It bothers me more that the few think it's alright to inflict their views and lifestyle on the many.  From abortion and gun rights to fundamentalist Christian ideology being taught in military ethics courses to the local pagan supply store getting rid of most of the Goddess art and books in favor of queer (their word, not mine) Pagan information and art- I'm tired of having to fight for my right to determine my own life.  The "it's my way or the highway" attitude is getting humanity nowhere.  It's causing in fight and outfighting that distracts us all from seeing how we are being abused my others who take advantage of the discord to further their own narrow interests.

Let's reject all this meanness and stupidity.  Bring back civil dialogue and carefully reasoned arguments.  Let's live in color instead of black and white.  Either that or I'm building a self sufficient bunker in the middle or nowhere and hiding.

6 comments:

  1. *applause*

    Build that bunker big enough for me, too! ;)

    Seriously though, you are absolutely right. Until we as a society can have civil dialogue, it will be incredibly hard to truly move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we now officially have enough people to create a bunker commune! Thanks, Stacy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll join in too! I can't even read a CNN article anymore because I can't stop myself from looking at the comments. They are always atrocious too. How can people act that way towards other people? It's one thing to disagree it's another to just be nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're very right, Velody. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right! I have stopped watching regular news and watch BBC World News on PBS for rational impartial news. People can be so blinded by their "I'm better than you are mentality".
    I hope you have enough room for me in that bunker...I'll bring the mimosas...lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delphi, I've missed you. I can't comment on your blog for some reason.

    Mimosas, yummy! I'll tell my husband he has to expand the bunker plans. We're going to need more space. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.