Monday, July 4, 2011

Standing Up- Spirituality and Politics on July 4, 2011

My spiritual journey informs my actions.  My actions inform my spiritual journey. They are irrevocably bound together like a Celtic knot.  Where one begins and the other ends is impossible, even for me, to tell.  This is the reason why my spiritual blog sometimes takes a political bent.  What I believe, about justice, about fairness, about decency are too bound together to separate.

It is my firm belief, that no matter who you are, you should stand up for people who can't stand up for themselves.  That is not to say that you should inflict your beliefs on them, but you should not stand idly by as they are tortured, murdered, persecuted or demeaned, unless of course, you have some hankering to have it done to you.  I know, in my heart, that people can be much better than they are and that conflict is not our natural state.  I do not think that laws should apply only to the few, or that anyone has the right to make decisions about what other's can do with their bodies.  I believe that intelligence, humility, honesty, transparency and contrition should be the measuring sticks we choose our leaders by.

I stand up to things that I see as detrimental to humanity.  It is part of who I am.  I am proud of it.  I believe in stewardship, not just of the environment, but of society.  I want the generations who come after me to have opportunities for happiness, health and peace.  So, the next time I step up on my soap box, forgive me for the momentary deviation from your ideas of spirituality, as I exercise mine.  I'll get back to more comfortable ground soon, but I cannot and will not be silent in the face of suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.