Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Dreams

I have dreamed in my life, dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas; they have gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the color of my mind.
-Emily Bronte



We all dream, and there are many, many beliefs about what they mean; however you think about your dreams, I'm sure that you, like me, have had dreams that stay with you for a time after you dream them.  Mine are numerous, varied and vivid.  


I have had many of the typical dreams- public speaking in my underwear, losing my teeth, falling (which I love) and being chased by things.  I have dreamed of giving birth and of falling ill.  I run in my dreams often, quickly and full of joy.  Some of my dreams are very definitely messages from myself. These dreams while vivid and symbolic, are not hard for me to puzzle out. Certain images stand out and speak clearly.  Other dreams are complex, confusing and dramatic.  They leave me confused and uncertain.  Then there are the dreams of my dead family.  I dreamed of my late great-grandmother before the birth of my oldest child.  She wanted me to know that everything would be alright.  Her sense of humor and personality were complete, just as she was in life.  Conversations with my father-in-law, who died of lung cancer nearly two years ago, have been equally realistic.  Sitting in his chair, smelling of cigarette smoke and sardonically commenting on the antics of his family had a taste of reality that I can't ignore.


Write down your dreams when you remember them.  From time to time, you may find patterns or common threads as you review these writings.  They can tell you about yourself- your hopes, your fears, your desires.  The creativity of your unconscious mind is amazing and unique.  Don't worry about assigning meaning to your dreams unless you want to.  Your dreams can simply be night time entertainment if that's what you wish.  Beyond anything else, dreams are yours, a manifestation of your uniqueness and infinite creativity.  They reflect all of your knowledge and all of your experience.


May your dreams be rich and welcoming!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.