Monday, May 23, 2011

Lighting a candle, not cursing the dark

"Better to light a candle than curse the darkness"  -Chinese Proverb

A rather routine trip to the local Farmer's Market yielded up a little hope along with fresh produce.  Among the late apples and ripe asparagus, early strawberries and musicians, was a group of girls.  On the way back to my car, I stopped to find out what they were up to and I am so glad I did.  This group, Creek Kids Care, makes art cards and magnets to raise money to support the local homeless center and AIDS orphans in Africa.

Now my son is excited to join and I am feeling a little ray of hope I hadn't felt in a while.  Change is in the air and compassion is spreading.  My wish for these children, and for my own, is that they continue to light candles rather than cursing the darkness, as the proverb goes, and that their light spreads and ignites other lights.

I have been accused of having a bleeding heart, and I see absolutely nothing wrong with it, but sometimes, the constant sorrow and pain and destruction I see in the world drag me down into depression.  I try to fight it by supporting charities and writing leaders to create change, but sometimes even that saps my energy.  My candle flickers and falters, I can't deny that, but today, because of the thoughtfulness of these sweet kids, things feel a lot brighter.

"Even from darks nights songs of beauty can be born."  -MaryAnne MBL Radmacher

"We can't cure the world of sorrows, but we can choose to live in joy." -Joseph Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.