Sunday, April 17, 2011

Pre-schooler wisdom and how it can make you happier

My three year old son is a bundle of endless curiosity and energy.  He keeps me on my toes during all of his waking hours.  He's clever and direct and fearless, not to mention cute and charming.  Okay, now that I'm done bragging, I 'll get to a point.  He asks for what he needs with honesty and directness.  If he's hungry, he speaks up.  When he's tired, he'll say so (and more frequently he'll tell you he's not).  When he needs attention, he walks directly up to me, looks me straight in the eye and says, "Come cuddly me".  There is no misunderstanding his needs or his desires.

This directness about his need needs is admirable (sometimes inconvenient, but still good).  We should all be so brave and so honest.  How many disagreements and misunderstanding in my life could have been avoided if I had only stated what I wanted, in clear, direct language?  Rather than beating around the bush, we should just express our needs; it would save a great deal of energy and frustration and many attempts at mind reading.  I know in my life, that would free up a great deal of my time and energy.

Let's take a lesson from the little ones and be more honest about what we need.  Instead of hinting to your partner about a need for romance or attention, why not just ask?  When somebody asks you to do something you don't want to do, just say "No thanks".  Obviously this isn't an option for every situation in life, but for a great many personal interactions, it would make us more understandable to others and save us from suffering in silence while hoping someone else will pick up on what we want or need.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, share or ask questions, but please, keep comments in good taste and respectful.